08 February, 2008

Misr!

Egypt beat Cote D'Ivoire in the Semi-Finals of the African Cup tonight. very exciting. Afterwards I felt like i was in Georgetown when we made it to the final four. Shouting and singing and flag waving through the streets, cars beeping horns and little boys waving sparklers and everyone chanting "Misr!" ("Egypt").

In the in the grocery store the radio was playing Ana Misry by the beautiful Nancy Ajram on repeat. (i felt really cultured when I recognized the song from Arabic class last semester)

Look out for the final game on February 10th!

in other news: I'm going to Alexandria tomorrow so stay tuned for pictures and such.

Random story: had a really awesome cab driver today. he said "I love speaking English!" and I said "but I want to speak Arabic!" so that's what we did. I spoke Arabic and he answered in English. He told me he hates Mubarak but he loves Bush and Sharon because they are men that love their countries. He loves any man that loves his country, like he loves Misr. we then proceeded to talk about politics and religion and life in general and he offered to give me his mobile number if i ever need anything or any information about egypt ("Because I have all the information about Egypt!". Nice guy, really

No comments: