17 February, 2008

not to be a downer but...

Very interesting article on the cover of the NYT today talking about the unemployment problems in Egypt and how it's driving the younger generation towards Islam.

From my own observations this is definitely a very religious society. and I have met a ton of college graduates in places you wouldn't expect. Some examples:

- the waiter in the cafe i'm in right now is a lawyer.
- my cab driver yesterday, when he found out I can read Arabic, gave me a photocopy of his diploma to read. He has a degree in Accounting and Commerce.
- Another cab driver works for the government making maps in the mornings and drives a cab at night
- man we haggled with to buy some scarves on the street told us he is a student at the Egyptian Museum

I'd definitely welcome comments on this, it's a very sad situation to be sure, though the religiosity of folks here seems to be a comforting thing, not necessarily as dangerous as the NYT makes it out to be. what does everyone think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi!!!! Happy 15 minutes before your birthday!!!! I hope that you celebrate it extra wonderfully since it's your ACTUAL birthday. I miss you and can't wait to see you this summer!

<3 Dori